Twitter tweets now get spidered and they show up in Google search engine. Google has reached an agreement with Twitter to show tweets in their search results. The individual tweets can now be viewed as a unique listing in Google search engine which can affect your Alexa rankings by sending visitors to your website.
How do you get your tweets in organic listings?
The outbound tweets for what is being promoted can be written with SEO and keywords in mind, crafted to be unique. As long as these messages don’t feel like spam and if you can make people visit to your blog via Twitter, this is indeed an SEO advantage that you cannot afford to miss.
1) Choose a Twitter handle strategically – Twitter handle, which can be your name, company name, brand name, blog name and so on. While choose a twitter handle (your username) make sure it is relevant to your blog or website and is easy to remember as it is the part of the SEO title for the tweets appearing in Google search engine. For example if you are running iPhone blog then you can probably use twitter handle starting with iPhone.
2) Boost your Twitter Profile Page Rank
- Optimize your meta description – Your Twitter ‘bio’, is actually your meta description. Make sure to include keywords.
- Display web site’s URL – Do not forget to display URL of your blog or website prominently on your twitter profile page. This will eventually increase the organic traffic as people often click the URL for seeking more information. It is important to note that this link does not provide any SEO link juice due to a “Nofollow” attribute in place.
- Optimize your page description – Use target keywords on your profile page and make sure to use keywords in your Tweets.
- Create inbound links – Just post articles with an anchor text link to your Twitter profile on article syndication sites. This strategy helps in boosting your profile’s page rank.
- Direct relationship between followers and profile PageRank – If you have lots of followers you will be popular among twitter users, which will eventually boost page rank of your profile page.
- Place Twitter profile Link in footer or sidebar, which is accessible via every page.
3) Follow Related Theme Profiles Only – Search engines increases your twitter profile link juice when you are able to get followers from good PR twitter profiles. Make sure that you add only those twitter users that are related to your blog content or share tweets on similar interest. This will increase number of retweets and thereby traffic.
4) Use 301 permanent redirect, while shortening URL – TinyURL, bit.ly, tr.im are popular URL shortening services that redirect users to the real URL via 301 (permanent redirect) and provide backlinks to your content. Search engines do not index TinyURLs, but index and pass PageRank to the actual URLs instead.
5) Use desired keywords in tweet content – Twitter does not allow you to tweet for more than 140 characters. Instead of automatically shortening the links on twitter.com, it is strongly advised to use URL shortening service like bit.ly. Once your URL is shortened, you have much more space to include more target keyword into twitter content.
6) SEO Optimize Title of Tweets in Twitter – The most important part of your post for keyword/SEO consideration is the first 27 characters. It’s this first part that becomes part of the <TITLE> on your Twitter static pages. Twitter uses the following <TITLE> format:
Twitter / Your Username: 27 Characters …
For Example, Title of the tweet http://twitter.com/aot/status/6397999154 will be <title>Twitter / Chris Martin: Bing (tool) Bar for IE & F …</title>
The same SEO rules that you apply to write optimized titles for the post must be used for twitter tweets as well. The only difference is that you have a restriction of 27 Characters as compared to 65 Characters in Blog Posts. For optimized tweets use keyword rich Titles within first 27 characters.
7) Use Hashtags in Tweets – Hashtags are similar to keyword meta-data. Basically, these are tags that that help those who seek similar content discover your Tweets. They’re like tags on Flickr, only added inline to your post. Hashtags are created by prefixing a word with a hash symbol: #hashtag. This will help the visitors to view your tweet around a particular topic. To search most recent and hot hashtags visit #hashtags.org. Alternatively, you can use Twemes.com to find new hashtags.
8) Retweet Startegy – An indexed tweet provides 27 characters or so for title post excluding ‘Twitter / Your Username: ‘
Make sure your tweet’s character limits allow for optimal retweets. It is important to keep the tweet under 125 characters, allowing your followers to add “RT @yourname” in front of the tweet. If you retweet the retweeted tweet it will result into the following link-
Twitter / Chris Martin: RT @Username RT @Username RT @Use ...
<title> of the Tweet is now truncated, with no keyword in place. To show link love some of us delete all the “RT @yourname” text before retweeting into the Twitter Network. But it is not advisable, as the strategy could have adverse impact on your twitter profile pagerank. Instead you can add the RT @Username at the end of the Retweeted content.
9) Tweet in order to get your article retweeted – This is the most important part for getting huge twitter traffic. In order to get more traffic and relevance to your tweet make sure that you retweets, other blog articles and encourage others twitter users to share (retweet) your Twitter content. Keep in mind the Retweet strategy discussed above.
10) Tweet and retweet relevant content timely – Make sure you are tweeting and retweeting articles keeping your followers and blog content in mind. If you are hosting a blog on windows 7 and tweets on windows 7 and H1N1 Tips simultaneously, then Google search engine may not love your twitter profile. This exercise may result in decrease in number of followers as well. Only share the links when you feel it should be, do not spam the twitter.
The Guest post is written by Jeffry McDowell , a part time Technology blogger who blogs on gadgetsdna.com