There are number of ways to take screenshots of your smart-phone, PocketPC or Windows powered device. But you need to shell out some money before using those utilities. In this article I will mention the free solution available to capture screen of your windows mobile or smartphone.
1) Ilium Software Screen Capture
It is one of the favorite screen capture utility among Windows Mobile Pocket PC or Smartphone user community. The utility is very simple to use.
How to use Ilium Software Screen Capture?
- Download Ilium Software Screen Capture and Start the program on your device.
- Navigate to Options menu to define the keys to take screenshots
- Make sure that you do not press the Exit button. Leave the application open.
- Take the screenshots! (If you have sound on, you will hear a camera “click” noise when the screen is captured)
- To stop the program, open it again and hit the Exit button
- To locate the screen captures, navigate to ‘My Documents’ folder on your device.
2) Capture Screen Utility
With Capture Screen Utility you can easily capture screenshots and screenshots with displayed menu. The tool also contains the delay capture feature using which you can set time delay before taking a screenshot in your windows mobile. The utility actively Support QVGA and VGA screens. The images taken are stored as bitmap files to main memory or a storage card.
The utility works with Windows Mobile 2003, Windows Mobile 2003 SE, Windows Mobile 5.0 for Pocket PC, or Windows Mobile 6 (Classic or Professional)
This is one of the best free screen capture utility for windows powered mobile. Screen captures can be saved in BMP*, GIF*, JPG, PNG formats but not on all devices. Captions can also be added on the screenshots. If you carry sensitive data on your mobile then this utility is perfect for you. You can easily hide sensitive information within screen captures. Capsure provides four screen capture options-
- Screen – Capture active app
- From task list – Capture a specific app from task list
- Timed – capture screen after time interval
- Repeat – Repeat any of the above captures with user-selected interval and user-selected max captures
Command line options are also available with this smart and powerful screen capture utility. Options are-
- quick – take one capture
- shoot – run captures according to above settings
- silent – in combination with one of the above closes app after capture(s)
Example: If you want to capture the screen without showing the CapSure window. Just type the following line in command line.
CapSure.exe silent quick
With MyScreenCapture you can take the screenshot and save the image captured on the device. Once you take the screenshot you can preview the screenshot, and can decide whether to save or capture a new one which is indeed a unique and very useful feature unlike other utilities. Time delay feature is available with this tool. MyScreenCapture does not require installation, just copy the exe file on memory card or internal memory and launch it.
5) SPB Screenshot
Spb Screenshot is yet another smart utility to take screenshot in windows mobile. Screenshot are saved as PNG or BMP directly to storage card or any selected folder. Delay feature is also available which is configurable. The tool is smart enough to do “burst” of multiple captures. Just try it out. For details visit spbclub.
PocketScreen is the perfect application for window based mobile phones to make screenshot. It’s been written in VB.NET so you need the .NET Compact Framework for it. The utility comes along with time delay capture mode and you can set a timer from 1 to 60 seconds (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 20, 30, 45 or 60 seconds). Screenshots captured can be saved in *.bmp, *.jpg, *.gif or *.png file formats. For more details on PocketScreen visit here.
MyMobiler is one of my favorite screen-capture application. You can view your mobile screen directly on your computer. The utility not only allows you to take screenshots, but it also allows you to take control of your mobile directly from your computer, which is very handy when you are working at your desk. You can perform functions like Copy/Cut/Paste text between mobile and desktop, drag and drop files to your mobile, et cetera. MyMobiler supports Mobile Explorer to browse the files in your mobile. The application supports Support Windows Mobile 2003/5.0 / 6.0
8) VH PocketPC Capture
VH PocketPC Capture allows you not only to capture screenshot from PocketPC or SmartPhone but to capture a video or presentations from screen or camera content? Just connect your PocketPC (or SmartPhone) device to your desktop PC using ActiveSync and you can capture in any DirectShow-based application by select “VH PocketPC Capture” as your Video Capture card. You can even use your PocketPC or SmartPhone as web camera.
9) A Screen Capture Tool for Windows Mobile
The application is not easy to use as it is in its initial stage. Keys to take screenshot depend on the device, so you need to search out which button it is on your device if you deploy it to a real Pocket PC. Once you identify the button to take screenshots, a bmp-file called capture.jpg is saved under the root, and the application ends.
vSnap is a the simplest screen capture utility for Pocket PCs.
How to use vSnap?
- Download the CAB file and transfer it to your device. Do not open the CAB file as if it is a ZIP file.
- On your device, launch your file explorer and locate the CAB file.
- Tap on the CAB file to start installation.
- Select the screen capture start time from the dropdown list.
- Tap on the “Browse” button to select the file location and filename to save the screenshot file.
- Tap on the “Capture” button to proceed with screen capture.
XnView is indeed a photo viewer but it comes with the screen shot utility, it takes the shot in a preset number of seconds so you can practically take any shot u want of your screen. You can follow this article on how to use XnView to capture screenshots.
Magic SS is a Screen Capture utility, once installed you need to map it to one of the hardware button and you are ready to make screen shots. The captured screenshots are saved as BMP files in ‘My Document’ folder.
14) Windows Mobile Developer Power Toys
To capture screen one of the option is to use the Remote Display application which comes up with the Windows Mobile PowerToys. Connect your smartphone with the computer and capture the desktop window and crop out the image.
Smart SS is a Screen Capture utility, just run it and you are ready to make screen shots that will be saved as BMP files.
Please share other free applications that you know and your views about this article in comment thread section of this blog.