Do you travel very often to client place and use different computers? If yes, then make sure your USB drive is loaded with some common tools that can make your life much easier. I have compiled a list of 50 portable tools that you can carry on your USB or flash drive.
1. Foxit PDF Reader – What if Acrobat Viewer is not installed on customer’s PC. Always carry Foxit reader to read PDF files.
3. uTorrent – Always carry a torrent client in your flash drive. I find uTorrent as the best peer-to-peer download client.
4. CCleaner – Sometime, when you visit at client place you are handed over a computer that is not formatted and is cluttered with files. CCleaner comes to your rescue. It is one of the best registry cleaner I have found.
5. Revo Uninstaller – It removes the unwanted application from the computer. Revo is an alternative way to uninstall the applications or programs from your computer. It is much better than ‘add/remove programs’.
6. Faststone Capture – This is one of the most important utility. You can easily take screenshots or edit them later for your presentations or blogging.
7. VDownloader – This tool will help you to save YouTube videos. VDownloader will save in a number of video formats, or the audio only as MP3 as per your choice.
8. Irfanview – For image viewing and basic edits (crop, rotate, resize, etc.)
9. VLC – Videolan supports almost all formats and doesn’t require 3rd party codecs.
11. PStart – It provides a quick access to the tools on your flash drive by adding an icon/menu in the system tray.
12. Keepass – KeePass is a free open source password manager, which helps you to manage your passwords in a secure way.
13. Skype – Helps in making cheap phone calls apart from regular chat and video chat.
15. FileZilla – One of the most downloaded ftp client. Its graphical user interface makes the task much easier.
16. Notepad++ – This is one of my favorite text editors. You may also go for EditPlus.
17. GIMP – It is the open source image editor packaged as a portable app – very robust.
18. 7-Zip Portable – No need to install winrar or winzip. This tool handles zip, gzip, tar, rar etc
19. Allway Sync – It syncs files between your thumb drive and PC
20. TightVNC – Based on the popular VNC remote control software, this version can live on a thumb drive
21. Restoration – Many times we delete the files accidently. This tool recovers accidentally deleted files even after they were deleted from the recycle bin
22. Infra Recorder Portable – It is one of the CD and DVD burning software.
23. RockXP – It allows you to recover windows passwords or keys, change keys, display system password, and more.
24. PuTTY 0.57 – A Telnet and SSH client, along with an xterm terminal emulator
25. SendMail – Send email (and even attach a file) using any SMTP server
26. KillAd v0.11 – Ad blocker. Works with IE, Netscape, and Opera.
27. Fatbits – Screen magnifier. Very useful during presentations.
28. Resize 2.6 – It resizes the images in batches by percentage, height, width, or maximum dimension while maintaining aspect ratio.
29. HJSplit – It is a Multi-platform file splitter. If you are unable to send large file then with HJSplit you can split the files into smaller size.
30. Folder2ISO – It allows you to create an ISO image of any directory, folder, or file. Later, you can then burn the ISO image back to a disk using a CD/DVD Burner and ISO compatible recording software.
31. BurnCDCC – It is a CD/DVD .ISO burning/recording tool using which you can create a CD or DVD from an ISO file.
32. ImgBurn – ImgBurn is a powerful CD, DVD, HD DVD, Blu-Ray recording utility. It reads a disk to an img file, write files from your computer directly to a disk, and even create img files from data on your computer.
33. Audacity – It is a simple audio editor and recorder.
34. SG TCP Optimizer – It tunes and optimize your Internet connection by tweaking TCP/IP parameters in the Windows Registry. Installation is not required, just run it and optimize
35. Qm – It is an extremely small e-mail client. Qm can be added to your Send To menu for use with Internet Explorer.
37. Ms Word Excel Cracker – To recover lost or forgotten passwords for protected MS Office files like .xls or .doc.
38. Asterisk Logger v1.04 – It reveal or recover lost password behind asterisks (***)
39. Convert – It is a unit conversion tool that can convert some of the most common units of measurement including distance, density, energy, temperature, time, speed, volume, mass, power, pressure and much more.
40. – A small database of country codes and additional information for all countries. Very handy when you do not have internet connection and want to figure out country code to send parcel.
41. StartUpLite – It is a System Startup Entry Manager with which you can disable or remove any known system startup entries from a computer.
42. Miranda – It is an alternative to Pidgin and supports AIM, ICQ, IRC, MSN and Jabber. Miranda allows you to include other popular instant messaging protocols like Gadu-Gadu, Netsend, Skype, Yahoo and more using plugins.
43. Lingoes Portable Dictionary – This is portable dictionary. Just unzip it into USB Flash Drive and run it anywhere like cybercafe, school, library etc.
44. TrayURL – Your portable bookmark manager.
45. VirtualDub – VirtualDub Portable is a powerfuldesktop video processing and capture application.
46. iKill – The most common source for spreading virus across computer is none other than USB drive or pen drive. Using iKill you can easily prevent your computer from deadly viruses or Trojan virus easily. Visit here for installation Steps.
47. On-Screen Keyboard – If you are working on a PC with a broken keyboard then do not worry. Until the keyboard is repaired you can use On-Screen Keyboard.
49. Tiny USB Office – It is an excellent software suite for your USB thumb drive which includes lot of useful tools and can be installed at under 2.5 MB.
50. FSuite – I cannot ignore Mac users. Well, Mac users can download FSuite which consists of over 30 useful tools (Office, Graphic, Audio, Video, Internet, Developer Tools and Games).