Apple recently released the iPhone 3.0.1 update for iPhone users. This update was released to fix SMS vulnerability in iPhone OS 3.0 and does not fix the iPhone 3GS hole. If you have iPhone with OS 3.0.1 then follow the simple steps below to unlock or jailbreak iPhone 3G/3GS using ultrasn0w 0.9 and redsn0w 0.8 respectively.
- Why redsn0w 0.8 can be used on iPhone OS 3.0.1?
Apple made changes only for the SMS bug, which affects programs that redsn0w does not use. This is the reason you can re-use redsn0w 0.8 on 3.0.1 even though it was written for 3.0.
- Why ultrasn0w 0.9 can be used on iPhone OS 3.0.1?
iPhone OS 3.0.1 doesn’t change the baseband and thus ultrasn0w 0.9 can be used as the soft unlock for iPhone 3GS with OS 3.0.1.
How to Jailbreak iPhone OS 3.0.1 with Redsn0w 0.8
Step-01- Download suitable iPhone OS 3.0 IPSW file for your iPhone listed below and save it to your computer desktop.
- iPhone 2G – filename: iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw [IPSW File download link]
- iPhone 3G – filename: iPhone1,2_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw [IPSW File download link]
- iPhone 3GS – filename: iPhone2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw [IPSW File download link]
Step-02- Download redsn0w 0.8. redsn0w 0.8 works for Phone 3.0.1, iPhone 3G 3.0.1, iPhone 3GS 3.0.1, iPod Touch 3.0, and iPod Touch 2G 3.0.
Step-03- Open the redsn0w 0.8 application to jailbreak iPhone 3.0.1 and click the Browse button.
Step-04- Select and open the IPSW file that you downloaded in step 1.
Step-05- You will notice message “IPSW successfully identified”. Just click the Next button to continue.
Step-06- redsn0w will prompt you to “Please select which options you would like to have“. Select the “Install Cydia” and then click Next button to continue.
Step-07- redsn0w will prompt you to make sure your device is both OFF and PLUGGED IN to your computer. Click Next once you have done this.
Step-08- redsn0w will now prompt you to connect your device in DFU mode. This step is critical and must be done with utmost care to jailbreak iPhone 3.0.1.
- Hold down the Power button for 3 seconds
- Without releasing the Power button, also hold down the Home (bottom center) button for 10 seconds
- Without releasing the Home button, release the Power button BUT KEEP holding the Home button for 30 seconds
If you get a DFU Mode Failed message and you need to carry out all the steps again.
Step-09- Once your device has successfully entered DFU Mode, redsn0w will show the following message: “Please wait while your device is being jailbroken. Waiting for reboot.” Your iPhone should reboot after this. If your iPhone is stuck on “Waiting for reboot”, just unplug your USB cable and plug it back in. The jailbreaking process should resume after that.
Step-10- Once your device has rebooted redsn0w will start uploading the RAMDisk and kernel.
Step-11- Once redsn0w have the “Done!” message. Your device will now reboot and you should see the Cydia app on your SpringBoard. Your iPhone is now jailbroken.
How to Unlock iPhone OS 3.0.1 with Ultrasn0w 0.9
1. Once your iPhone is jailbroken, open Cydia.
2. Add repo666.ultrasn0w.com to your sources
3. Install ultrasn0w, and reboot!
4. Now your iPhone should be unlocked.