The iPhone Dev team recently released PwnageTool 3.1 to jailbreak and unlock iPhone OS 3.1 firmware. PwnageTool 3.1 supports iPhone OS 3.1 and 3.1.1 for iPod touch and is capable of jailbreaking and unlocking iPhone 1st Generation (2G), the iPhone 3G and the iPod touch 1G on Mac OS X.
If you are looking to jailbreak iPhone 3G 3.1, make sure you read the important points listed here. Below is the step by step process to jailbreak iPhone 3G with 3.1 firmware.
1. Connect your iPhone to your computer.
3. Double click PwnageTool 3.1 to mount it and then drag the PwnageTool icon into the Pwnage folder and then double click to launch the PwnageTool 3.1 application.
4. You will notice a warning Screen. Click ok to continue.
5. Select ‘Expert Mode’ from the menu bar and then select your iPhone model. Click to continue.
6. You will be prompted to “Browse for IPSW“. Click on it to select the IPSW file from the Pwnage folder on your computer desktop. Click to continue.
7. You will notice a screen with 7 choices. Select ‘General’ then click to continue.
8. If you are not with an official carrier then select ‘Activate the phone’. If IPSW creation fails then increase the size of the root partition and then click to continue.
9. You will notice the grey out screen for ‘Bootneuter settings’ for the 3G iPhone. Click to continue
10. The ‘Cydia settings menu’ screen will appear. Select the ‘Download packages’ tab and then click the ‘Refresh’ button to display all the available packages. Install cydia installer and Icy.
11. Follow the online screen instructions and then click the ‘Build’ button to start custom firmware building process. Click to continue.
12. Save custom IPWS file to your Pwnage folder. Wait for 10-12 minutes till the IPSW file is created.
13. Enter your administrator password and click the OK button to continue.
14. You will be prompted ‘Has your iPhone 3G(S) been pwned before (does it have the pineapple logo)? If you are unsure click No.’
15. Turnoff your iPhone device and make sure it is connected to USB port.
16. Now hold the home button and the power button for 10 seconds and then release the power button and hold the home button for 10 seconds to enter your iPhone in DFU mode.
17. PwnageTool will display a message once you successfully enter your iPhone in DFU mode. iTunes will also pop-up.
18. In iTunes, hold the “Alt/Option key” and click Restore.
19. Now, select the custom IPSW that was created (iPhone1,2_3.1_7C144_Custom_Restore.ipsw) and click the Open button.
20. iTunes will restore the firmware on your iPhone. This process can take around 10 minutes.
21. Your iPhone 3G 3.1 will then reboot automatically and you will find Cydia on the iPhone SpringBoard. Your iPhone 3G 3.1 is now jailbreaked.