Geohot and Dev team has advised users to save their iBEC and iBSS Signature Certificates of iPhone OS 3.0 for upcoming Jailbreak tools. The reason being that, Apple has injected a new layer of security, the ECID field to the iPhone 3GS. When iTunes starts the restore process, they contact Apple servers to generate signatures just for your iPhone 3GS. Make sure you get these signatures for your phone before a new version of the software comes out. These signatures are extremely ‘Important’ for future 3GS Jailbreaks for you iPhone.
How to Grab 3GS iBEC and iBSS Signatures
During the restore process iTunes keeps signed iBEC files in /tmp on Mac OS X or %TEMP% on Windows. During a DFU mode restore, the signed iBSS file is written in same location. To be sure, restore in both modes one after another to be able to grab them both. You’ll need to keep an eye on the temp directory and copy it before it is deleted again by iTunes. This method is not advisable by dev team as you need to go through the restore process to get these signed files, which has risks if you are anywhere near 3.1 or 3.1 beta. If you have downloaded the 3.1 beta then do not restore your device to 3.1 beta else you’ll lose ultrasn0w.
This process is bit complex and needs utmost care while saving your iBEC and iBSS Signature certificates. To make the process much simpler difrnt has developed “iBEC & iBSS Grabbers” which capture and save your iBEC and iBSS Signature certificates automatically. Follow these instructions to generate a unique certificate for your phones iBSS. It simply makes the process of getting your purplera1nyday certificate faster. Download ECID Grabber HERE
If you find it too hard to manually grab the iBEC and iBSS files that may be needed for the 3Gs Jailbreak, use iBEC and iBSS Grabber.
How to use iBEC and iBSS Grabber-
1) Select the location where you want to save iBEC and iBSS Certificates.
2) Click on ‘Start Watching’.
3) Generating iBEC Signature Certificate – Connect iPhone 3GS to the computer and launch iTunes. Select from the list of devices on the left. Hold down the ‘Shift’ key and click the ‘Restore’ button and restore your phone with firmware 3.0. iBEC & iBSS grabber will grab and save the iBEC signature certificates in %TEMP% folder on Windows and /tmp on Mac OS X.
4) Select ‘Restore from the backup of’ then click the ‘Continue’ button.
5) Generating iBSS Signature Certificate – Put your iPhone 3GS in DFU mode and iTunes will give you a message saying it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. Click okay and then Hold down the ‘Shift’ key and click the ‘Restore’ button. Again restore your phone to 3.0 and iBEC & iBSS grabber will grab and save the iBSS signature as it’ll be generated in %TEMP% folder on Windows and /tmp on Mac OS X..
If the tool listed above are not working for your iPhone then follow simple steps to generate a unique certificate for your phones iBSS using usbview.
- Download usbview (for Windows users). Mac users to use system profiler.
- Hold the home button and plug your phone into your computer until you get into recovery mode and then connect it to your computer.
- Using usbview on Windows(enable Config Descriptors), System Profiler on Mac, or lsusb on Linux, read your phones ECID. It’s the 16 digit hex number after “ECID:”
- Go to purplera1n, type ECID, and hit enter.
- Save the generated iBSS certificate.